This may be a particularly difficult chapter in your life if you were recently assaulted by a coworker. In addition to the physical and emotional trauma of the attack, you may feel terrified about returning to work and reliving the memories. This may be especially true if the perpetrator is still employed and is not in jail. If the person is popular at work, your coworkers may question your version of events. Even if you have not discussed it with anyone, workplace rumors and gossip often run rampant. If you feel that you are alone with nowhere to turn, this is understandable but not necessarily true. By taking certain steps, you may be able to get the justice you deserve. You may decide to hire a personal injury lawyer. A settlement will not erase the prior events, but it can pay for counseling, medical treatment, and other things that can help you heal physically and emotionally.

Notify Your Employer or Manager
If you have not already informed your employer or manager about the assault, it’s important for you to do so. If the perpetrator is a supervisor, notify their supervisor and the police. If the person who assaulted you is the owner or does not have a supervisor, notify the police. A police report can be included in a claim or lawsuit when seeking compensation for your damages. If you do not file a formal complaint at work, then this can be used against you if later you decide to seek compensation for your damages.

If there is a Human Resources Department at your place of employment, contact them directly, even if your supervisor has told you they will contact you. You will want to present the information as you know it and from your perspective. Putting it in writing will formalize the process and document the event. Keep a copy of your complaint for your own records.

Report the Attack to Law Enforcement
It’s important to understand that an assault can be physical or verbal. For example, if a person hits you, that’s assault. If they threaten to hit you, that’s assault. If they try to hit you, that’s assault. Assault can take several forms and is a criminal offense that can result in jail time if the individual is charged with the crime and found guilty. Assault is also what is called a “tort” in legal speak. That means that the victim can sue the person who assaulted them. For the lawsuit to move forward, the victim must prove they were substantially damaged in some way, whether that be emotionally, physically, or both. To learn if you have a viable civil case against the person who assaulted you, contact a personal injury lawyer and request a case review today.

Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer

A personal injury lawyer can review the details of your case and tell you if you have a case that is unlikely to get thrown out of court. The lawyer can also give you an approximation of how much compensation you may be entitled to receive via a personal injury claim or lawsuit.